Tuesday, October 15, 2013

DIY Abstract Art: West Elm Hack

A few weeks back we got around to adding a few decorative touches to the new house.  At first I wanted a mirror to go above the buffet, but later decided that some art would pack a bigger punch.  Purchasing a nice piece of art was definitely not in the budget so DIY'ing we went.
 I first saw this abstract art in West Elm's catalog, it wasn't really my style but I every time I saw it, I liked it more and more.  Black and white is easy to decorate it...goes with most anything.  Then I began to see some replicas floating around blog world.  I found more inspiration here, here, here, and here.
I could have just purchased a large canvas from Michaels, but we went the extra cheap route by making our own frame using wood we already had and a drop cloth.  After Billy assembled the frame, I started painting.  Thanks to his suggestion we painted the drop cloth white first.  Made for a better background and the surface became easier to paint with the white as the base.  The white paint was actual wall paint, but the rest was all acrylic paint.
I felt it needed a pop of color and chose to add a little bit of gold and hints of fuchsia.
I love the black and white of the original, but mine needed a little kick.


To finish the sides I took inspiration from Emily A. Clark and painted them gold.



I'm hardly an artist so this was the perfect skill level for me.  Surprisingly, we've had a few visitors even ask where we purchased it from:)

Sharing with:

Home Stories A to Z

My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia

XOXO

Aubrey

No comments:

Post a Comment