Saturday, February 26, 2011

Who needs Florida when you can paint pottery...


These pictures are from last month, but I wanted to share. After our Florida trip was cancelled because the baby was measuring so small, I really wanted to do something special for Lauren...just the three of us. I had been looking forward to our vacation for months and when the doctor's said I couldn't fly, it broke my heart. I wanted this memory of just us before becoming a family of four.

My plan was to take Lauren to paint pottery for the first time. It really was a perfect afternoon, though Billy may not completely agree after I criticized his painting ability for not making perfect letters (so Aubrey, right?). Lauren actually did an amazing job. For the most part she was clean and took her time with the different colors.
I really wanted to get a plate with her hand print and as you can see, the first attempt wasn't so good. But attempt #2 was a success and a BIG SISTER plate is now part of our collection, along with a reject plate (letters painted by Billy) and "Rainbow" the dog.


It was a great afternoon and a memory we'll now have as just us three! As for Florida, it will still be there and when we go, I'll have a cocktail in one hand and a baby in another:)

And I would highly recommend the experience to other tot parents. I'm not ready to introduce painting at home because of my type A personality. But this summer when she can paint outside, naked, and away from walls and furniture we'll give it a try.

We did have a serious accident with Rainbow. Lauren was running around with Rainbow and he managed to jump out of her hands and fell to the floor. His injuries are severe and he is currently in the Crawford ICU waiting surgery with Dr. Dad. We're hoping for a full recovery, but at this point its too soon to tell. Lauren just keeps saying "we have to fix him."


2 comments:

  1. They have these paint coloring books where the paint is on the bottom of the page and she can use a Q-tip and a little water to paint the page. It's great because it is mess free !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, thank you everyone for your heartfelt well wishes for Rainbow the dog. He is now out of surgery and resting comfortably. We expect a mostly full recovery. Even after a few months of rehab (i.e. being on top of the dresser and not within LC grabbin' reach) we expect him to be almost back to normal save some slight nerve damage in his left ear (I couldn't find a few small chips, so you can see where I glued it). I am still just amazed that happened though, I mean...seriously, what could go wrong when a 2 year old plays with an extremely breakable and fragile dog?

    ReplyDelete