Tuesday, May 10, 2011

I'm no Barefoot Contessa {I}

I think that may be an understatement. I don't love to cook, I like to cook. I have weeks where I'm all about finding a few new recipes to try and other weeks where I struggle to come up with enough meals from my own repitoire. And a lot of comes from finding the time to search, plan and shop...its time consuming. And with two kids, I need to be super organized so I can go without them when Billy is home and hope to God I don't have to run out again with them.
But last week was one of those weeks where I was all about looking for a few new recipes, digging out some oldies but goodies, and actually enjoying the grocery shopping process. But I'll tell ya, this weeks planning was no picnic (no pun intended).

I thought I'd share last week's menu with you because I love when my friends (mostly Jocelyn, and thank you!) share their newly found favs with me. I love finding healthy, easy, and crowd pleasing recipes.

Monday: Well Dressed Salmon Courtesy of Rachael Ray
We actually won't be making this at our house any longer because Billy came to the realization that he hates salmon, but I love it. Easy and delish...served with a salad and wild rice

Tuesday: Pasta with Spicy Sun-Dried-Tomato Cream Sauce Courtesy of Jocelyn P.

I don't have the link for this one...
Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 cup chopped drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
1 cup whipping cream
1 7.25-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained, chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
1 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1 pound penne pasta
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 to 1 cup frozen peas
1 package of fresh sliced mushrooms

Directions:
Heat oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add tomatoes, cream, red peppers, peas, mushrooms, and crushed red pepper; simmer over medium heat 2 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup basil and simmer 1 minute longer.
Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup pasta cooking liquid. Return pasta to pot. Add sauce, cheese and 1/2 cup basil and toss to coat. Add enough reserved cooking liquid to pasta to moisten if dry. Season with salt and pepper.

Wednesday: Thai Chicken Salad with Peanut Dressing Courtesy of Cooking Light
Served with a baguette
Thanks for recommending this one Joc....we loved it and will make this again!

Thursday: Vinaigrette-Marinate Sirloin with Spicy Guacamole courtesy of the detroit free press
served with Orzo Salad with Spicy Buttermilk Dressing courtesy of Cooking Light

Friday: Springtime Chicken Pizza Courtesy of Jocelyn P.
Ingredients:
1 prebaked pizza crust (12 inch diameter) (I used a boboli)
1/3 cup pizza sauce
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken
1/3 cup roasted red peppers, drained, blotted dry, cut into strips
2/3 cup goat (chèvre) cheese, cut up


Directions:

Preheat oven to 475ºF. Place pizza crust on greased 12 inch pizza pan. Spread pizza sauce evenly on crust. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Scatter chicken and red pepper over Parmesan cheese. Arrange red pepper on top and scatter goat cheese.
Bake for about 15 minutes until crust is crisp and golden.
Cuts into 8 wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment